Saturday, November 20, 2010

Not as American as apple pie...

I have had this idea in my head for several weeks. I wanted to mix apple pie and white cake. My thought was that apple pie filling would make a great cake filling too! Dad used to make apple pie every Thanksgiving. So delicious and such a great memory. I also thought it would be fun to decorate a cake like a pie but in a very basic way.

I had a vacation day and finally enough energy to experiment in the kitchen.

The cake part was easy, just a white cake box sub milk and butter for water and oil. I like to cook my cakes in one pan, an 8x3 decorator's pan (by Wilton of coarse), but I wanted a shorter cake so I figured I could make two.

I found an apple pie recipe online (I don't have Dad's recipe) it looked easy enough. Of coarse all the recipes online assume that a pie crust will be involved. I went ahead and followed the directions but placed the apples alone in a casserole dish to bake.

For ease of cutting cake slices I put the cooled apple filling into my food processor just to cut the apple slices down to apple "chunks".

So, one layer of filling, with an additional layer of filling on the top of the cake. I put cinnamon in the buttercream icing and did a "lattice" on top. I think they turned out adorable!



The cake cut beautifully and has a wonderful chunky filling. It also tastes good.

So the problem... the cake is emotionally conflicting. It tastes good, just not "right". I think that apple pie is too traditional to be messed with. Somehow the mind rejects the cake and buttercream because it's not a flakey crust.

Hubby and I both think it's still good. Gorgeous is the one that was able to articulate the conflict.

All in all, I consider this experiment a success.


No comments:

Post a Comment