Sunday, October 24, 2010

Star Wars...

"The star tip creates the most celebrated, easily accomplished decorations!" -- wilton.com

With this Wilton message in mind I thought it would be easy breezy to create a spider cake and a soccer cake. Not so "easily"... In Wilton's defence they do suggest the triple star tip for filling in large areas. But I wasn't afraid, I had the 1 star tip and was ready to roll!

Both these cakes call for black icing, but I'm not a fan of black icing. It's hard to make true black and if you buy the ready-to-go tube black then the flavor doesn't match the homemade icing. I love to use it for accents, but not for the amount of cake that needed to be covered for these designs.

Anywho, the star technique eluded me a bit. But it was really good practice. I also worked with candy melts again to create the legs of the spider. I think I'll really like candy melts with more practice.

My spider cake, purple instead of black and candy melts instead of store candy:


And my soccer cake:


I made both of these with the Wilton soccer ball pan. My girlies thought it was totally fun and so did I!

No comments:

Post a Comment